I just can’t help myself… I miss The Muppet Show.
Month: August 2009
Health Care: A Right or a Privilege?
Let’s go back to a question that I have posed several times to myself and never came back with a satisfactory answer:
Is access to health care a fundamental human right?
Health Care: What to Reform
Yesterday I wasted almost a full hour trying to write the next post on Health Care. I started and scrapped three different posts.
I just am not sure what I want to say next about this topic. The truth is, I feel like a tiny minority here. I clearly see the need for reform and innovation in both the payer system as well as the medical delivery industry. But, I just don’t see any solutions that I feel I can strongly support. I am neither for the current proposed reform, nor am I vehemently against it.
So instead of just blindly choosing a side and waving their signs and banners, I want to just discuss the reforms we need to make and share my views on how we might proceed.
Health Care: How Much Does it Cost to See a Doctor?
Just to review:
- In our current health care model we have providers & payers.
- Providers are largely an effective industry.
- Payers are largely a bloated system on which the industry has been built.
- Cost is the ultimate problem.
So today I want to delve into cost.
How much does it cost to see a doctor?
Continue reading Health Care: How Much Does it Cost to See a Doctor?
Health Care: a System or Industry?
As a nation, we are now deeply embroiled in a debate about the future of our health care industry. My next few posts are going to be delving into the grimy details of this debate with two goals:
- to define what we currently have
- to understand what is being proposed and where it might lead us
I want to get it #1 nailed down, first, before we get into #2. Perhaps the single most frustrating thing is to discuss a topic when not everyone in the room is coming from a similar basic understanding of the actual state of affairs…
So here we go…
WhiteEyebrows vs. The Slalom Ski
Monday night was lake night with FavUnc, DoubleB, Rambo, and Excuse-Me-I’m-Going-To-Do-Something.
P.S. A Dream
I had a dream last night that Simon Cowell actually read my blog.
How did I know he read my blog? Because he took a direct quote from it and said it on American Idol.
I was honored, but a little upset that he didn’t properly credit me.
Simon, if you’re out there, please know you can use my material any time, just make sure you give me my proper 2 minutes of fame.
I Didn’t Hate It Awards
A few more “I didn’t hate it awards” going out today:
- to Melanie and Ben… Well, actually, this award goes to their son, Nolan, for the hilarious antics at graduation.
- to Blabberbuns for coming back and blogging, and congrats for finishing her book, which I am excited to be the first to read… hint hint…
- to OverheardInTheWard for “Little Ears, Big Mouths“. You know, kids say the darndest things…
- and finally, to Stuff White People Like for “Camping“. I just couldn’t stop laughing.
Congratulations to all of you. Keep up the good work!
Go For The Gold
This is not a blog about the Olympics or about trying to get a gold medal for being first at something. Don’t forget, I already covered the obsession with being first a few years ago.
No, I mean the title literally: go get the gold!